A Delhi court has sentenced four persons to life imprisonment for robbing and murdering a jeweller, saying they “cannot make any positive contributions to the society and deserve to remain behind bars for the rest of their lives.
” Additional Sessions Judge Anju Bajaj Chandna sentenced Mohd Kasim, Abdul Rehman, Sarafat Ali and Sajid, all hailing from Muzaffar Nagar in Uttar Pradesh, for murdering Vinay Kumar Jain, a South Delhi jewellery shop owner. “In the present case, the conviction has been recorded for the offence of robbery and murder and it is clear that convicts have committed heinous offences only for the purposes of enriching themselves.
They have also various other criminal involvements to their credit. “The convicts cannot make any positive contribution to the society and deserve to remain behind bars for the rest of life. In view of these facts and circumstances, I sentence all convicts to rigorous imprisonment for life.” the judge said. The defence counsel for the convicts had sought leniency for convicts, saying that all four are the sole bread winners of their respective families. The court, however, rejected the plea saying they are not first-time offenders and are involved in several criminal cases.
The case dated back to March 11, 2007 night, when the four had attacked and shot dead Jain near his house and had fled the scene with his bag of gold jewellery. The police had apprehended the four the next day and had recovered 400 grams of jewellery each from Kasim, Ali and Sajid and 430 grams of gold from Rehman, the prosecution had said.
- Man gets life term in jail for murdering brother-in-law
- Delhi HC awards life imprisonment to cop for murdering relative
- 3 men tried to rob jeweller from Manimajra
- Mirchpur killings: Life term to 3, 5 yrs for 5, 7 let off
- Naroda Patiya riots: Kodnani, Bajrangi among 31 get life term
- Hair strands in victim’s fist leads cop in jail for life for murder
- Sexual offence against children may attract jail for life
- Jeweller shot at by four assailants in Jalandhar
- Court awards life sentence to three in murder case
- DDU Hospital near Tihar Jail needs upgradation: HC