Delhi led the rally, rising the most by Rs 550 to Rs 31,725 per ten gram followed by Kolkata with Rs 540 to Rs 31,715. The metal in Mumbai spurted by Rs 520 to Rs 31,400 and in Chennai by Rs 540 to Rs 31,575.
With the general firming trend, silver in Delhi recorded a biggest gain of Rs 2,250 to Rs 59,500 per kg and Rs 2,020 in Chennai to Rs 60,975. It shot by Rs 2,040 to Rs 60,140 in Mumbai and Rs 2,000 to Rs 59,200 in Kolkata.
Trading sentiment was bolstered as the precious metals posted the highest monthly gains since January in overseas markets after Federal Reserves Chairman Ben S. Bernanke indicated more measures to aid the U.S. economy, lifting demand for the metal as an inflation hedge.
Gold in global markets, which normally set price trend on the domestic front, jumped by 36.30 dollar to 1,691.60 dollar an ounce and silver by 4.27 per cent to 31.74 dollar an ounce in New York last evening soon after Bernanke speech.
On the domestic front, gold of 99.9 and 99.5 per cent purity spurted by Rs 550 each to Rs 31,725 and Rs 31,525 per ten grams respectively, a level never seen before. Sovereign shot up by Rs 200 to Rs 24,950 per piece of eight gram.
In a similar fashion, silver recorded a hefty rise of Rs 2250 to Rs 59,500 per kg on hectic buying by industrial units and coin makers. Silver weekly-based delivery surged by Rs 2275 to Rs 59,015 per kg. Silver coins zoomed by Rs 5,000 to Rs 75,000 for buying and Rs 76,000 for selling of 100 pieces.
- Gold touches new high of Rs 28,750 on firm global cues
- Gold up Rs 105 on strong demand, firm global cues
- Gold, silver rebound on seasonal demand, firm global cues
- Gold up by Rs 450, silver surges by Rs 600 on firm global cues
- Gold rises by Rs 155, silver by 500 on firm global cues
- Gold gains Rs 225, silver up by Rs 800 on firm global cues
- Gold up by Rs 85 on firm global cues, silver ends flat
- Gold rises to Rs 27,190,silver adds Rs 700 on firm global cues
- Bullion mkt ends the year with gains on firm global cues
- Gold gains Rs 60, silver Rs 650 on global cues