Police suspect that a tantrik dug out the body of an infant buried on Monday at the cremation ground. The incident lays bare the neglect of the burial ground as well as the sway of superstition.
When the 5 month old daughter of Vinod Kumar and his wife died of heart disease on Sunday, the shock was hard enough for the family to bear. But an even worse shock was in store. On Monday evening, the body of the tiny infant was buried in the cemetery beyond the main cremation ground in Sector 25.
On Tuesday morning, when the family came to the cremation ground again to sign the death register, they visited the grave and found that the body had been removed. Vinod Kumar immediately informed the police. Wild growth comes right up to the edge of the burial ground and when this area was searched, the infant’s remains were found. The body had been half burnt.
It is suspected that the desecration of the body was the work of a tantric. Investigating Officer Avtar Singh, who is investigating the case, appealed to the Administration to raise a boundary wall around the burial ground, clear away the jungle and appoint a full-time chowkidar
It is inhuman to subject bereaved parents to the additional shock of desecration of an infant’s body. Moreover, because the burial ground is completely neglected and derelict condition, it is a magnet for drug-addicts, criminals and tantriks in search of some isolated place to carry out their illegal activities. Monday’s incident is not the first. In the past also there have been cases of bodies disinterred either by people with twisted minds or by dogs.
- Body found at Sector 16 bus stop Chandigarh
- Body found in Village Kandala on Thursday
- Body of cardiologist Deepak Kaura found in Dera Bassi
- Manimajra Police receive info on body found in woods
- Body of 21-yr-old Manav Garg found at Sec-48, Chandigarh
- Body of Chandigarh based cardiologist was found in Dera Bassi
- CRPF jawan was found hanging by ceiling fan in Chandigarh
- Fiza consigned to flames at Sec-25 Chandigarh
- 40-year-old man burnt to death in Sec 22
- Triple murder shocks Ambala, body of a woman along with two infants found