“We welcome the Central government’s nod to prestigious Zojila tunnel,” party spokesperson and MLA Sajad Ahmed Kichloo said today. “It is the efforts of the coalition government in general and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in particular that the project has finally been approved, which will provide all- weather connectivity between the two regions,” Kichloo said.
He said the chief minister was actively pursuing with the Centre, the construction of the 6.5 km long tunnel on Srinagar-Leh highway at Z-Morh to make Srinagar-Leh road pliable for traffic throughout the year. He urged the state and central governments to effectively pursue the Vailoo tunnel project, which will in similar way connect Jammu with Kashmir through the shortest possible route in Kishtwar district.
He said better road connectivity was one of the priorities of the NC-headed government as it has direct bearing on socio-economic well-being of the people and holistic development of the state. The party spokesman said various central government agencies in this sector like National High Authority of India, BRO and BEACON have been persuaded to fast track the projects being executed by these agencies in the state.
- Srinagar-Leh highway to remain open in Nov
- Centre likely to clear Kashmir-Leh tunnel today
- One-way traffic on Srinagar-Jammu Highway from Saturday
- Srinagar-Jammu highway reopens after one-day closure
- Srinagar-Jammu highway reopens for one-way traffic, Leh road closed
- Construction work on Zojila tunnel to begin from August
- Omar inspects work on rail and highway projects
- JK highway closed due to snowfall, flights cancelled
- Indo-Pak tunnel an attack on nation’s security: BJP
- Construction work on Holi-Uttrala tunnel to begin soon: CM