After gaining 269 points at the outset, the Sensex closed up 183.24 points, or 0.99 per cent, at 18,762.74, a level last seen on July 7. The 30-share barometer has gained 8.2 per cent this month.The broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty climbed to psychological 5,700 level by adding 53.80 points, to end at 5,703.30. It touched the day’s high of 5,735.15.
A firming global trend and the rupee rising to five-month high against the dollar helped the market commence the new settlement in the derivatives segment on a promising note.Brokers said the sentiment bolstered on sustained foreign funds inflow amid expectation that the government’s policy reforms will revive investments and economic growth.
The Sensex has risen 4.7 per cent since September 13 when the government hiked diesel prices and opened retail and aviation sectors to foreign direct investments.There were more supporting factors like firm foreign markets on optimism Spanish and French measures to reduce budget deficits might help in resolving the region’s debt crisis, brokers said.
In 30-BSE index components, 25 stocks closed with gains. Reliance Industries, HDFC Ltd, Hindustan Unilever, ITC, Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra and Mahindra and Tata Motors were among the major gainers.The current rally was led by auto, consumer durables and FMCG stocks.
The auto sector index gained the most by 1.89 per cent to 10,413.19 followed by consumer durables by 1.63 per cent to 6,939.84. FMCG index rose by 1.42 per cent to 5,507.46.
- Sensex up for 4th straight day, ends at 1-month high of 16649
- Sensex falls from 7-mth high on profit selling; loses 283 pts
- Sensex ends below 16k, down 287 pts; SBI dips on ratings cut
- Sensex ends flat after four straight days of losses
- Sensex ends below 18k on profit booking, oil price rises
- Sensex down 60 pts on falling rupee; cement, metal stocks hit
- Sensex ends 40 pts lower as June IIP data disappoints
- Sensex recovers losses on GAAR postponement; ends up 82 pts
- Sensex up 205 pts on value buying, clarification on FII tax
- Sensex tumbles 366 pts to near four-month low