The Electricity Committee was supposed to meet last Thursday. The committee chairman, Councilor Arun Sood of the BJP turned up – but nobody else. Undeterred by the lack of a quorum, Sood went ahead and passed 13 agenda items anyway. Four items were proposed by Congress councilors and nine items were proposed by BJP councilors. The financial outlay for all these items comes to about Rs 74 lakh.
On Friday Congress councilors raised uproar over Sood’s illegal sanction of agenda items. Meanwhile, Sood went out of station and will not return until this coming Thursday, October 25. The MC House meets on Friday, October 26. The Electricity Committee hangama is building up and is expected to explode in the House on Friday. Leading the anti-BJP charge will be Deputy Mayor Satish Kainth who has already announced his intention to demand the resignation of Sood from the committee chairmanship. So far he has no word of criticism for the committee members who could not be troubled to attend a scheduled meeting.
When Arun Sood was contacted on phone, he blamed the Congress for the mess. He claimed that Congress members of the committee stayed away deliberately to sabotage the BJP councilors. He charged the Congress with indifference to the city’s development and predicted that city streets will remain in darkness during the Festival season thanks to the Congress attitude.
“It’s all Congress politics. The Congress members of the committee stayed away deliberately to sabotage the BJP councilors.”
This is the level of cooperation that obtains between councilors of the Municipal Corporation. God help Chandigarh.
- Argument & Uproar at MC meeting in Chandigarh
- Plan Comm pitches for hike in power tariff
- Brace for jail bharo on Friday in Chandigarh
- Chautala, INLD MLAs suspended, Uproar in Haryana assembly
- MC Chandigarh councilors meet visiting Parliamentarians
- Uproar in LS over land for Rajiv Trust, House adjourned twice
- Uproar in JK Assembly over resolution for clemency to Guru
- BJP forms committee in forthcoming Chandigarh MC elections
- Fair Price Shop Welfare Association demand fortified flour
- Uproar in J&K Assembly