On Thursday night UT Senior Superintendent of Police was caught red handed while taking a bribe of Rs one lakh. Officers of the Central Bureau of Investigation laid a trap for SP Deshraj Singh and swooped on him at his residence as he was accepting the money from Sector 26 SHO Anokh Singh who is under investigation on several charges. Anokh Singh had agreed to pay Des Raj Rs 3 lakh in return for clean chit in the inquiries. Never has a UT Police officer of such high rank been arrested for graft. Moreover, it is the first time that a junior has complained about a senior and an IPS officer.
According to CBI sources SHO Anokh Singh had informed them about the deal in which he was to hand over a first installment of the bribe amounting to Rs 1 lakh at Des Raj’s home on Thursday evening. Senior officers of the administration and police department declined to comment on the arrest. The court has remanded Des Raj to police custody for two days. Vishal Garg, advocated for Des Raj, alleged that his client is the victim of a conspiracy.
33 year old Deshraj Singh is a 2008 batch officer of India Police Service and holds an MSC from IIT, Kanpur. His first job was as a software engineer in a private company. He joined the UT police in October 2010 as an Assistant Superintendent of Police and was promoted to Superintendent of Police on July 25 this year. He has been in UT Police service for only 25 months.
One the inquiries against Anokh Singh pertain to alleged misbehavior with SP Deshraj Singh at a monthly crime meeting of the UT Police back in 2011. The second inquiry pertains to an alleged lapse: when posted as Sector 11 SHO Anokh Singh failed to visit the scene of a theft in Sector 24. The SP marked an inquiry against him and sent him to police lines. Anokh Singh’s role in a property dispute is also under probe.
- CBI caught Cong leader Subhash Diwan taking bribe
- SI, constable caught while taking bribe in Gurgaon
- Sub-Inspector caught for allegedly taking bribe
- Three government officials caught taking bribe in Haryana
- ASI Ishwar Singh caught taking bribe in Kala Amb, Ambala
- 2 caught cheating in SSC exam
- Randhir Singh Uppal caught red-handed in graft case
- ASI arrested for taking bribe of Rs 50,000 in Ludhiana
- Former HC Judge accused of demanding bribe
- Delhi police HC awarded two year jail term for demanding bribe