Cabinet minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and the BJP curiously agree on one thing, the need for more powers for the mayor.
Cabinet Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal has been pressing for more powers for the mayor for some time now. He feels the mayor is ornamental at best and the person on the post should be accorded more powers. According to the Cabinet Minister this will step up development activities in Chandigarh and also keep Councillors in line. The remark on Councillors was in reference to the walkout staged by MC officials during a recent House meeting. The BJP has also been making the same demand. In fact, the BJP wants a Legislative Assembly in Chandigarh, which, they feel, will increase the powers and responsibilities of MC officials.
Former Councillor Dr A.P. Sanwaria recalled having raised the demand for mayor in council one and a half years ago during a debate on Day and Night News. He said the move will make officials more accountable towards their constituencies.
Congress Councillor H.C. Kalyan opposed the establishment of a legislative assembly in Chandigarh on the grounds that Chandigarh is too small to require a legislative assembly.
BJP Councillor Saurabh Joshi, who has been rather vocal about pressing issues of late, said the Congress has an ulterior motive in opposing the creation of a legislative assembly. In the past few days, both the Congress and the BJP have been fighting a pitched battle on the floor of the house and beyond. It is a fight which has severely affected the interests of the common man.
- Mayor Raj Bala Malik, team visit Sec-40 Chandigarh
- BJP, SAD councillors train guns at Mayor
- Mayor accuses officers of false reports
- Dy Mayor Chandigarh alleges no work done in Sec-29
- First Chandigarh MC meet of the year held
- Issue of parking passes gathering steam
- Compensation for victims of diarrhoea outbreak
- Chandigarh Administrator nominates 9 councillors
- Chandigarh MC elections candidates declared their assets
- Will make Chandigarh a global city: Bansal