Chandigarh residents fondly remembered the architect of City Beautiful, Le Corbusier on his 125th birth anniversary.
While the city built by the French architect occupies pride of place in the country and beyond, city residents feel, that Corbusier’s vision was that of a city with a small population. Now that equations have changed, Chandigarh has go Le Corbusier ne from a placid town to a bustling metropolis, and changes are required.
The metro train network is something city residents both look forward to and dread. While travel will be facilitated, people feel it will destroy the peaceful essence of Chandigarh.
While Le Corbusier is without doubt one of the most loved figures in the history of the city, the scene at the Le Corbusier centre on his 125th birth anniversary belied the esteem he is held in. There were no officials at the centre. Regular workmen could be seen dusting the architect’s photographs with no idea that it is his birth anniversary. While the Frenchman who gave India one of her most beautiful cities would not be an egomaniac, it would be only fair for us to remember him once in a while.
- Chandigarh celebrates Guru Nanak Dev Ji birth anniversary
- Chandigarh residents reject CHB decision
- CHB Residents Federation started hunger strike
- Mohali residents wait for bus service
- Devotees celebrate birth of Krishna in Chandigarh
- Signature campaign to save Corbusier’s legacy
- Chandigarh residents wish Yuvraj a speedy recovery
- Chandigarh police making traffic violators watch film
- Tricity residents facing acute water shortage
- Chandigarh Admin to go ahead with multi-crore metro project