“A major tragedy was averted with the timely detection of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), planted by terrorists near the strategically vital Qazigund town yesterday morning,” a defence spokesman said. He said the troops of 9 Rashtriya Rifles Battalion detected the IED containing high explosive material wrapped in a polythene package, which was planted in a roadside drain.
The traffic was halted on both sides of national highway to prevent any loss of life and property in the vicinity of the site, the spokesman said. Initial chemical analysis of the blast site by the Bomb Disposal Squad revealed the presence of high explosive Penta-Erythrolyte Tetra-Nitrate (PETN) in the IED, he added.
- Heavy snowfalls shuts Srinagar-Jammu National Highway
- Jammu-Srinagar National Highway reopens
- Srinagar-Leh national highway closed due to heavy snowfall
- Srinagar-Leh national highway reopens
- One-way traffic on Srinagar-Jammu Highway from Saturday
- Srinagar-Leh National highway set to open tomorrow
- Srinagar-Jammu highway reopens after one-day closure
- Srinagar-Jammu highway reopens for one-way traffic, Leh road closed
- IED detected, defused on Poonch highway
- Srinagar-Jammu NH closed