September 19 saw the shaming incident of teasing and thrashing of a college student in broad daylight. The incident has sent ripples across the state capital region, with the police gearing up for a major crackdown on eve teasers
On 19 September, Komal, a college student was teased and thrashed in broad daylight. The three men even tried to kidnap her. The reaction of the injured girl and the public outrage which followed are set to take the form of concerted action against goons who have no respect for women and are not admit it in the basest manner possible. Police personnel have been deployed at sensitive areas.
The police action has made many women feel safer in the city. The measures police have taken include a Facebook page where victims can post such incidents and even upload videos of the same if they have any to help police identify the accused. Chandigarh police personnel in plainclothes are also deployed aboard CTU buses to keep a tab on people molesting women on buses. In fact, such people will now find themselves filmed with the tapes being sent to their families.
One shocking revelation the girls made is that it is not just young men who molest women on buses. Many of the wrongdoers are elderly people.
While the police action has been welcomed by girls, they fear the enthusiasm may fizzle out.
Colleges are also taking steps to check the menace. A complaint box has been placed in Government College, Sector 42 in which students can drop complaints about such incidents.
Will the alertness of the police help restore a safe environment for girls and women? Well for that, men will need to be conditioned to respect women. And the most effective place for such training is home.
- Police register 8 eve-teasing cases in 3 days
- FR ‘molestation case’ puts police in bad light
- Chandigarh police personnel trained in first aid
- Mohali police crack 2 separate fraud cases
- Panchkula police crack kidnapping with arrest of 4
- Chandigarh Police crack down on drunken drivers over
- Police bust sex racket in Sector 19, Panchkula
- Panchkula police busts sex racket with arrest of five
- Chandigarh: 3 girls, 1 boy found unconscious in Leisure Valley
- Crack-down on Mohali chemists