After a registered marriage, newly-weds Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor went in for an exchange of vows before hosting a grand reception that went on till the wee hours today. While there were rumours that a ‘nikaah’ was held, Kareena’s close friend and fashion designer Manish Malhotra said that there was a simple exchange of vows between the two actors, who have been dating for five years. “They just exchanged vows at the Taj Mahal hotel in Colaba. There were no ‘saath pheras’… They did not adhere to any particular style (of wedding),” Malhotra told PTI. The marriage at Saif’s residence here was a simple affair yesterday afternoon, but the post-wedding functions at the South Mumbai hotel saw a host of B-town celebs like Shah Rukh Khan with wife Gauri, Priety Zinta, Karan Johar, Tusshar Kapoor, Salman Khan’s sister Alvira, Anil Kapoor with daughter Sonam. Malhotra said that the 32-year-old actress wore Saif’s grandmother’s traditional gharara for the ceremony last night. The actor’s mother Sharmila Tagore had worn the same gharara at her own ‘nikaah’.
She then passed it on to her son’s new wife. Delhi-based designer Ritu Kumar was given the responsibility of restoring and embellishing the gharara. “I worked on the antique Pataudi gharara that was restored by Ritu Kumar for Kareena’s wedding… we did the final fittings and added a bit of touch of embroidery here and there,” Malhotra said. “When Saif and Kareena exchanged vows… she wore Sharmilaji’s gharara for some time,” Malhotra said. Later, Kareena changed into a Malhotra creation for the post-wedding party and Saif donned a Banarsi brocade ‘achkan’ by designer Raghvendra Rathore. “Kareena wore a burgundy color embellished gharara with maroon duppatta. I gave a very old world charm to all the ghararas. The party had 80-100 people and went on till 3 am,” Malhotra said.
- October wedding for Saif-Kareena
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor to get married today
- Saif-Kareena to wed in October, says Sharmila
- Kareena, Katrina come together in Lakme fashion week
- Kareena to announce marriage after release of ‘Agent Vinod’
- Kareena to walk the ramp during Lakme Fashion Week?
- Too busy promoting ‘Heroine’ to think of wedding, says Kareena
- Bridal gifts registry takes off in India
- I am a foodie: Kareena Kapoor
- Kareena Kapoor in Prakash Jha’s ‘Satyagrah’?