The Sensex today dropped by nearly 130 points to close at 18,675.18 on lower-than-expected Infosys earnings and a cut in its full-year sales guidance, amid slowing industrial production growth in August.
The BSE benchmark index opened nearly 78 points lower dragged down by Infosys scrip which tanked nearly 8 per cent on reports the IT major’s July-September quarter revenues and profits failed to beat market expectations. Infosys posted 24.3 per cent jump in consolidated net profit at Rs 2,369 crore while its revenues were up 21.7 per cent at Rs 9,858 crore. The scrip pared some losses to close at Rs 2,395.65, down 5.36 per cent.
The Sensex, which had climbed 174 points in the previous session, closed lower by 129.57 points, or 0.69 per cent to 18,675.18. Infosys, Wipro and Bharti Airtel were major losers. Brokers said market sentiment was hit due to a cut in Infosys’ profit margin and sales outlook. Infosys lowered its revenue growth guidance for the current financial year to 17.3 per cent from the earlier target of 19.7 per cent, setting off alarm bells. “It was a down day for markets…for fourth quarter in a row, Infosys’ stock crashed post results. Infosys guided about challenging times and trimmed down its FY13 guidance,” said Nagji K Rita, CMD, Inventure Growth & Securities.
Dealers said industrial production growth slowing to 2.7 per cent in August compared to 3.4 per cent in the same month last year, also upset market participants. “We do not believe this IIP data will have a bearing on the policy stance, although inflation data (on Monday) will still be crucial,” said Kapil Gupta, analyst, Edelweiss. The Sensex staged a partial recovery from the day’s low levels on the back of over 1 per cent gain in HDFC Bank shares as the lender posted 30 per cent rise in quarterly profit. In 30-share Sensex, 16 stocks declined while 14 scrips including GAIL, Tata Power and Hindalco ended higher. The 50-share National Stock Exchange index Nifty fell by 32 points, or 0.56 per cent to 5,676.05, after touching the day’s low of 5,659.35.
- Sensex tumbles 238 pts on disappointing Infosys outlook
- Sensex rallies 174 pts ahead of Infosys earnings, IIP data
- Sensex tanks 257 pts as Infosys Q1 results disappoint mkts
- Sensex dips 138 pts, Infosys slips on weak forecast
- Sensex surges 200 pts on firm global trend, higher earnings
- Sensex down 244 pts in early trade on Infosys guidance outlook
- Sensex closes 53 pts down; RIL, Infosys fall
- Sensex dips 277 pts; falls below 17k mark on TCS earnings
- Sensex gains 61 pts; Infosys, Tata Motors in limelight
- Sensex regains 17k level after 3-wks, led by RIL, Infosys