Priyanka Chopra has gone international as a singer with her debut single but the actress says she was too shy to sing in Bollywood earlier even though offers came her way. The 30-year-old actress, whose debut track ‘In My City’ has become quite popular, said that her composer friends in the Hindi film industry had tried to make her sing, but she was too bashful to do it. “I used to get opportunities to sing in Bollywood but was too shy to take up any song. My friends Vishal-Shekhar and Salim-Sulaiman tried to make me sing in films but I was too shy. I sang in ‘Bluffmaster’ (2005 film) but the song was never released,” said Priyanka. Dressed in a white tee, pink jacket, light blue denims paired with white high heels, the ‘Barfi!’ star was in the Capital today to promote the single from her first music album which will be released later. “The single has gone triple platinum in India.
The response has been overwhelming, even though it was released just a couple of weeks back. The album is a very big deal for me. I feel like a newcomer once again,” she said. The single has a very international pop music feel, what with Priyanka collaborating with Black Eyed Peas rapper Will.I.Am for it. “It was a great experience working with Will. He is such a talented artist. He was the one who made me listen to this and then we decided to record it.” Priyanka says despite having collaborated with international talents and label, her album is very Indian. “I am very ‘desi’. I want the world to get a taste of India through my songs and the album. As I unravel the album you will see that the instruments and the beats are very Indian,” she said. The actress said she trained in Western classical when she was studying in the US for four-five years, but had to prepare a lot before cutting the album. “I hired a vocal coach and she accompanied me everywhere, even during my outdoor shoots for films like ‘Barfi!’ and ‘Teri Meri Kahaani’,” said Priyanka, adding that she would be performing live soon.
- Priyanka Chopra wants to be the voice for Rekha
- I am a geek’s fantasy: Priyanka Chopra
- I was called ‘browny’ in US school: Priyanka Chopra
- I have no issues in doing an item number: Priyanka Chopra
- Priyanka Chopra shoots with autistic kids for ‘Barfee’
- Priyanka Chopra campaigns for clean Yamuna
- Teri Meri Kahaani will be a memorable film: Priyanka Chopra
- IIFA: Priyanka Chopra to pay tribute to Rekha
- Priyanka Chopra injured during dance rehearsals
- My bad luck that I could not sing with Mehdi Hassan: Lata