Outgoing chief minister P K Dhumal was unanimously elected leader of the 26-member BJP legislature party. Dhumal, whose name was proposed by state BJP chief Satpal Singh Satti and several other members, said “we honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition”. The BJP leader said his main objective would be to ensure victory of the party in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and all efforts would be made to strengthen the organisation to take up the challenge. BJP General Secretary, Thawar Singh Gehlot, who was observer for the meeting, declared Dhumal elected.
Addressing the legislature party members, Gehlot said that the party was confident about coming back to power but it marginally missed the target and now it would play the role of active opposition and raise public issues. “Our goal is to further activate and strengthen the party and avenge the defeat in coming Lok Sabha and Assembly polls,” he said, adding the party would review the causes of defeat and remove shortcomings. Expressing his gratitude to the MLAs for reposing faith in him by reelecting him as leader of the legislature party, Dhumal said that he and other party leaders campaigned tirelessly throughout the state and the government had creditable record of development but “somehow, the party failed to achieve ‘mission repeat’”.
“We honour the verdict of the people and would play the role of effective opposition and raise all issues of public interest and serve the people with same zeal and vigour,” he said. Gehlot, who is also incharge of state organisational polls, announced appointment of state party general secretary Chander Mohan as returning officer and said that process of organisational elections would be speeded up and state level elections would be completed by early January. Satti said that 1.75 lakh members have been added this time and “the total membership has crossed 4.75 lakh, which is record”.
- Corruption allegations against newly-appointed legislature party leader Tikshan Sud
- Defiant BJP MLA lashes out at Dhumal, state party chief
- Chunni Lal Bhagat elected leader of BJP LP
- Dhumal addresses election rally at Chamba
- Dhumal says he will welcome decision of people
- Senior Himachal BJP leader quits party
- Ensure BJP’s victory in upcoming polls: Dhumal to partymen
- Yeddyurappa demands early legislature party meet
- Victory in Guj, Himachal will clear the way to Delhi: Dhumal
- BJP not averse to seeking rebels’ support: Dhumal